Mercedes GLC Forum banner

341 - 349 of 349 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Tony. That’s what I had thought was the case - but my question is, why? If there’s a fix for the non AMG versions, why won’t the same fix work for the AMG version? I assume people will at that it’s because the geometry is different, but the stock geometry is awful - straight line and flat out acceleration is incredibly unstable - a stock GLC couldn’t possibly be worse?! ..I’ve had a GLE 500 on a 68 plate until last month - that didn’t have any of these issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Tony. That’s what I had thought was the case - but my question is, why? If there’s a fix for the non AMG versions, why won’t the same fix work for the AMG version? I assume people will say that it’s because the geometry is different, but the stock AMG geometry is awful - straight line and flat out acceleration is incredibly unstable - a stock GLC couldn’t possibly be worse?! ..I’ve had a GLE 500 on a 68 plate until last month - that didn’t have any of these issues.

·
Registered
163 Posts
This is the letter MB UK sent to all dealers when they finally accepted there was a fault,

Supplying All Season tyres to customers with non-AMG GLC’s helped mask the fault. But a year later MB accepted the Steering Geometry was faulty, fitting replacement Knuckle Joints - costly the MB - FOC under warranty.

Sadly, not available for AMG C43 or C63 owners

Tony

·
Registered
163 Posts
AMG GLC’s have very different steering setup that cannot be fixed - if it could they would have. Talking with an MB dealer and he’s had hundreds of customers screaming at him about this fault - it truly is an awful experience

MB call it a characteristic - OMG - Disgraceful

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Tony - but I’m not willing to accept that the same fix, or at least a similar fix, can’t be applied to an AMG model. The steering geometry is sooo bad already, it’d be hard to make it worse. My stock GLE 500e has almost as much power and 21inch wheels with none of these issues - making me think a stock GLC stance with the AMG power would be preferable...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Afraid you’ll be ‘flogging a dead horse’
Owners have been screaming about this for 5 years without a resolution.

The other ‘thing’ you have coming your way are lots of expensive tyres. AMG C43 / C63‘s EAT tyres with owners reporting having to replace every 2k / 3k miles - MB believe this is acceptable.

The Faulty steering geometry shreds the outer edges ☹

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah I can feel it doing that - and also my CV joints are clicking (and due to go in to merc next week for diagnosis) - there’s no way this can’t be overcome with something like the knuckles - why won’t it work on AMG models?

341 - 349 of 349 Posts