Mercedes GLC Forum banner

41 - 60 of 333 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,137 Posts
My 43 on michelins was/is a nightmare, on winter tyres at moment. No knuckle fix available for 43/63 yet as toobad says and MB not saying whether there will be one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Chunk you don't say what size rims you're on, my 43 on 19's had Goodyear all seasons fitted by my dealer at 1000 miles which virtually eliminated any skipping , though I must admit it wasn't bad with the Michelins but as everyone else was getting new tyres I thought why not , anyway 6000 miles later still no clonking and the tyres are not even half worn in spite of my heavy right foot.
Sorry, I should have noted that I am on 21" rims and the tyres fitted from new are Continental Contisport Contact 255/40 R12 102Y on the front and 285/35 ZR21 105Y on the rear. As I have noted the front tyres have maybe 1000km wear left and the rear tyres are only approximately 20% worn. Alas, at my age of 76 I do not drive with the exuberance of youth any more - and when I traded in an F Type Jaguar for the GLC all tires on my F Type were only about half worn after about 20,000km. This is my first Mercedes and apart from the clonking issue and the excessive tyre wear, it is everything the F type was not - and if they sort out this issue I would probably buy another one. My dealer has been the top performing MB dealer here in NZ three years in a row and I am confident they will look after me as best they can. But how much support we get for tyre replacement or steering knuckle replacement from MB Head Office here in NZ may not have been tested yet. At the annual 1st service when I complained yet again about the clonking and the excess front tyre wear the only offer made then was to sell me new front tyres at their wholesale cost.

Until MB find a knuckle fix for the GLC 43/63 I would be happy with having new tyres fitted that seem better able to absorb the problem, but I need to get all my ducks in a row before making the request. I have trawled through this and the preceding thread and it appears that several GLC 43 owners on 21" rims have had good results switching to Continental Contisport Contact 5 Star with Conti Seal technology tyres. They are not MO rated but Star rated which apparently means they are endorsed by BMW for standard fitment on their high performance cars. Several others have reported good results fitting Goodyear Eagle Sport All Season ROF tires 'run-flat' tyres but I am unsure if these are made for 21" rims? Many of these reports were made some time ago so I would really appreciate an update and any current advice as to how these tyres have performed over time. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

·
Super Moderator
1,137 Posts
I understand your frustration, MB do NOT authorise fitting all weather tyres to the 43 or 63 because they are not available with the correct speed rating in 19/20 or 21 inch size.
They authorise winter tyres with a lower speed rating because there is a winter setting in the menu which allows this.
In the UK they have changed owners tyre to the contact 5 star in 21 inch size and reports are they are a lot better regarding the crabbing but wear out fast.
I was the lucky one as I took MB to the UK motoring ombudsman and was as a "gesture of goodwill" was given a set of 20 inch AMG multispoke wheels with winter tyres but as far as I am aware nobody else was given this, my standard wheels are 19 inch and the crabbing on michelin summer tyres is awful.
I cannot understand that they have produced the steering knuckle "fix" for the other models they cannot do it for the 43 or 63, hopefully they will soon but after 3 years they should have it in place. I would have bought another 43 but don't want the hassle of changing wheels twice a year and have ordered a new GLE - hopefully without crabbing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
We have driven less than 5000 miles in our glc63 and the front tyres are on their wear indicators already!! My wife drives the car 95% of the time and drives very carefully. Her last car was a Golf and when we sold it at 25000 miles the tyres were fine so it's not the way she drives. Appalling that this car chews through £500-600 worth of tyres in such few miles of careful driving. And yes we get terrible judder/clonking when near full lock to full lock - my guess would be that wears the tyres down. Mercedes have told me this is a 'characteristic' of the car hehehe

Apart from that the car is great. I guess we will just have to suck up the costs - I don't have the energy to argue with Mercedes about it

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all
1st post on any forum so sorry if I muck this up. Just like to show my appreciation for other people’s persistence in getting resolutions to the crabbing Issues with the GLC. I have a 350d white premium + with night pack, great car love it to bits. Using the info from this site I had a tyre swap to all seasons last year. Just had the cars second service and mentioned the steering knuckles, have been told I am entitled to this upgrade and Poole (Sandown) Mercedes have ordered the parts and will let me know when they have them in to be fitted free of charge, just under £1k.
Again just want to thank all for the information on this site, don’t believe Mercedes would have voluntarily informed me of these options,keep up the great work

·
Super Moderator
1,137 Posts
Welcome Dagil, my car is from Sandown poole and I harassed the service manager with the crabbing issue early in 2017, frustrating that we can't get the knuckle fix for the 43 or 63, hence my move shortly to a GLE.
You are correct in that Mercedes wouldn't have told you about the fix to the "characteristic", has really spoilt a great car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tried to get Mercedes Blackburn to accept that my 2016 GLC Sport has the problem. They cannot get the vehicle to ‘clunk’ apparently, so are now telling me it is not in the range of vehicles affected by the problem. Also, they won’t replace the Hankook tyres that are wearing excessively as they are not the originals as fitted at the factory - after 33000 miles and two sets of replacements. This is despite the MB build sheet declaring Summer tyres, and them telling me ‘some’ cars were wrongly fitted with Summer tyres from the factory. I even have a photograph of the vehicle on their showroom floor showing those tyres fitted.

I assume the problem affects all GLC chassis regardless of age, but can’t find any way of proving it. The helpful mechanic told me he knew the car had the problem, and was disappointed as to how MB had handled the issue, but obviously I don’t want to quote him.

·
Super Moderator
1,137 Posts
Call customer services, GLC has been effected by issue from day 1 and originally all cars were fitted with summer tyres..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Next port of call. Gave MB Blackburn chance to redeem themselves, but when the service manager doesn’t understand how I could check the OE fit tyres from the build sheet....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update, been to Mercedes Worcester today, they assessed the car , admitted it has a skipping problem and ordered new knuckles from Germany and given me a date to of 23rd of April to fit them and fix them in within the warranty period which runs out in mid May.

Great result. Thank you to all contributors on the forum for their persistence and heartache in highlighting this problem we all owe you. Hopefully this solves the issue.

·
Super Moderator
1,137 Posts
Really good news Jabster.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Would just like to reitterate what those have already said and thank those contributors to this site for getting a fix to this issue. Mine went in today for assessment and is having the steering knuckle fix next Thursday.
Thanks again :)

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
The Final Solution - Long post alert!

Well the big day arrived! Truth be told, Red Ken with his 18" rims, has only ever suffered from the mildest of crabbing which, TBH, most people would probably find perfectly acceptable. But if there's a bandwagon to be jumped on, old Toobad will always arrive early to bag one of the best seats:) Tactically I purposely delayed requesting the fix to allow the weather to warm up a bit as justification for Red Ken not exhibiting the tyre skipping characteristic should the technician want to verify it. On the day of the appointment the weather was just perfect, wet and mild. To my great surprise no checks were required and the car was simply booked in to the workshop. Perhaps, because their records showed they had already previously fitted all-season tyres, further evaluation was waived. When initially requesting the modification, I had told them "the clonking has returned because my tyres have worn down and now the tread blocks are no longer flexible enough to mask the lateral forces being exerted by the incorrect steering geometry".

And then there was the "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory" moment! The steering knuckle kit was still on back-order at the time of my arrival so they would just be doing my Euro 6b emissions software upgrade and replacing two door handle puddle lights which had failed (that's now 5 replaced on a 4 door car!!!) Realising additional leverage would not be a bad thing, I deployed my "fetch me somebody who is paid enough to get shouted at" instruction. This led to them scrounging the kit from another Dealer for the following morning and me leaving in a poverty-spec C220d Wagon. The silver lining was that the Wagon reminded me just how so much better a driving experience Red Ken provided with his Premium Plus, Driver Assists, Air Suspension etc.

So Ken is now back home and all is well with the world. It occurs to me members following this thread may appreciate some more detailed information regarding exactly what this anti-clonking fix involves. I requested a copy of the printout from the Dealer's Hunter Hawkeye alignment rig. Comparing it to the alignment figures I got when I had the all-season tyres fitted, it seems the revised geometry achieved by fitting the modified steering knuckles initially moves the Toe In/Out setting outside of its accepted range. This is then adjusted back to within its original tolerances. This means there is still only one set of correct alignment readings whether you have the modification done or not. It's good to know special readings don't have to be dialled in for modified knuckles, especially if alignment needs doing away from your Dealer.

For completeness and with grateful thanks to the legend that is @Billy24, here again is the parts list which comprises the steering knuckle kit:

PLEASE NOTE THIS MODIFICATION IS ONLY APPLICABLE TO RHD CARS AND CURRENTLY EXCLUDES 43/63 VARIANTS.

1 x Steering Knuckle MA253 332 33 00
1 x Steering Knuckle MA253 332 34 00
2 x Brake Cover Plate MA000 421 79 00
2 x Nut/Washer Assembly MA005 990 47 50
4 x Nut/Washer Assembly MA005 990 24 50/64
2 x Nut MA002 990 68 54
8 x Screw MA002 990 65 03
2 x Screw MA000 990 75 03

The parts alone total £962.64. The job takes about 4 hours so the labour charges will come close to £500 and I know a session on the Hunter Hawkeye alignment machine costs £100 alone. I would urge all owners to push for this fix under warranty asap as there is no guarantee it won't get withdrawn at some point in the future. If selling your car privately there's a good chance a savvy buyer will try to bid you £2k less to cover the cost of this modification so why start negotiations from a disadvantaged position.

And finally, for anybody who doesn't know what the knuckle looks like or where to find it, here's some photos of the installed modified version:

You can see in the photo below how much they had to wind out the trackrod end to reinstate the original Toe In/Out setting:

Thanks for reading, now go and get your car booked in. It really was a simple "ask and you shall receive" experience for me :grin2:
Trev.

·
Super Moderator
1,137 Posts
Great post Toobad and sound advice to other owners to get it done, shame it doesn't apply to the 43/63 but of no concern to me as trade price agreed. Not going well on GLE front, car promised for end of May and after hearing rumours of delays in production phoned dealer and after checking he said it was pushed back to 10th of June. I told him that if not available in May I don't want it until September 1st due to resale value.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My Hero

Great post Toobad and sound advice to other owners to get it done

Wow absolutely stunning post mate big thanks for taking time and without doubt make a big difference when doing battle with some of the reluctant stealers in getting the fix sorted....
As i and many of us has said Big Thanks to all that have contributed and keep the info coming
(Was booked for the usual exploration with MB Wednesday but gonna have to rebook due unforeseen circumstances but will post on the end result )

·
Super Moderator
1,137 Posts
Sad state of affairs with MB when dealers are fully aware that the issue effects all GLC'S but you have to prove it to them, they should be ashamed.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Well done for all the work

To “Sir Toobad”, well done, or as Navy says, BZ - Well Done.
Hopefully other RHD markets will benefit from your work and all the other contributors on this Forum.
Again, Many Thanks.

·
Registered
255 Posts
To “Sir Toobad”, well done, or as Navy says, BZ - Well Done.
Hopefully other RHD markets will benefit from your work and all the other contributors on this Forum.
Again, Many Thanks.
+1
Much appreciated

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good information! I had the steering knuckle fix done to my car on Wednesday 10th April by Sandown Mercedes in Poole. They did an excellent job and loaned me a C Class Coupe for the day. Their loan cars are always good unlike my previous dealer who only gave me an "A" class when I put my CLS in for servicing!
I can confirm that the steering knuckle fix does seem to work. I have purposely left worn front tyres on the car which were causing crabbing when I took the car in. But everything is fine now. Definitely get this fix done.

41 - 60 of 333 Posts