Mercedes GLC Forum banner

121 - 140 of 332 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Happy for you Lons but not surprised, all the GLC except 43 and 63 are eligible for fix, makes a mockery of their insistence it was a "characteristic" of the car for first 2 years. Even when they gave me the wheels with winter tyres they told the ombudsman it was a characteristic and they were only giving them me as a gesture of goodwill.
Well, took mine in for a hopeful fix of tetelematics (Post: multimedia not syncing) and got talking to a techie and did he know about the crabbing? he did, and in his view all the knuckle fix did was reduce the steering angle, i.e. the amount of lock, less lock no crabbing! he agreed there was no fix for the AMG vehicles as yet.

When I got home I put the car on full lock and had a look, to me, the akerman and camber angles looked reasonable nothing like the crazy angles I have seen on some cars.

Philamg, would you take a picture of of your wheels on full lock I will do mine and we can compare?

·
Super Moderator
1,137 Posts
On holiday for next week, will do when I get back.

Also when I get back will have a set of 20 inch AMG multi spoke wheels Bi colour, shiny grey inside. Only been on car for 1684 miles and 100% totally unmarked, they have winter tyres on with 7mm of tread on each tyre, if you may be interested let me know. by pm

·
Registered
26 Posts
Turning Circle

I don't believe the new knuckles reduce the turning circle. There is a road I could just do a U-turn in pre-fix, and I still can now, so I think the full-lock position hasn't changed. Steering feels better, crabbing is gone. No down-side i can see.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Interesting, when I go back for the telematics fix I will try and get hold of the same teckie and ask him again.

·
Super Moderator
1,137 Posts
Interesting, when I go back for the telematics fix I will try and get hold of the same teckie and ask him again.
I think he was just guessing John, from what I can gather it is a whole new design. If it was as simple as he says there would be a fix for the 43/63.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Had my steering knuckles replaced last week and, by the looks of it new brake backplates and upper "wishbone" arms as well...it all looks like a new car underneath

The clonking / skipping/jumping however you want to describe it appears to be solved and, as others have noted it does APPEAR to corner better with less understeer :)

Cant say I can detect any difference in the weight of the steering - if anything it feels smoother but that could just be because I want it to!

So, what, exactly was the cause and what has changed to cure it?.... the track rod ends have both been adjusted considerably as there is aboiut 1/2" of "new" thread showing

·
Registered
1 Posts
Another satisfied knuckle fix. On the subject of the turning circle I think if anything it is better. I have a sharp 90 degree angle to negotiate from a single track road usually a 2 try affair, now slots in with ease. very happy !

·
Registered
7 Posts
Car booked in for knuckle fix on the 28th May, dealer has said they need it for 4 days!
I note most people on here saying its takes approx. 6 hours - I'm guessing this is the first one the dealer (MB south west Plymouth) has done? It has taken four weeks for the parts to arrive.

I will be glad to get the fix done now as I am now starting to suffer from `slight skipping` I have completed 14000 miles on 20" all season run flats and the weather is quite warm. I didn't experience any skipping until just after 10000 miles and it was very cold when it started - I guessing if it was cold outside at the moment I would have more than `slight skipping` and I'm on all season tyres. I have 7mm left on all 4 tyres (measured by MB during its first service 4 weeks ago).

Looking forward to have the fix applied.

·
Super Moderator
1,137 Posts
Car booked in for knuckle fix on the 28th May, dealer has said they need it for 4 days!
I note most people on here saying its takes approx. 6 hours - I'm guessing this is the first one the dealer (MB south west Plymouth) has done? It has taken four weeks for the parts to arrive.

I will be glad to get the fix done now as I am now starting to suffer from `slight skipping` I have completed 14000 miles on 20" all season run flats and the weather is quite warm. I didn't experience any skipping until just after 10000 miles and it was very cold when it started - I guessing if it was cold outside at the moment I would have more than `slight skipping` and I'm on all season tyres. I have 7mm left on all 4 tyres (measured by MB during its first service 4 weeks ago).

Looking forward to have the fix applied.
You must drive VERY carefully Ian, new tyres only have 8mm of tread on them!.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Philamg, I don't exactly hang around!
Most of the miles have been motorway/dual carriageway. I start a new job on Monday closer to home, so more short journeys vice motorway miles, I'll see how the tyres wear with different journeys.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,137 Posts
Great wear Ian when some owners have had to replace tyres at less than 7000 miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Streering Knuckle fix

Hi I have just brought my GLC 250D 2016 and was given a 12 months warranty has any body had the modification done on the warranty they give you when it was not brought new ? I brought it form a MB dealer .

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,137 Posts
Hi I have just brought my GLC 250D 2016 and was given a 12 months warranty has any body had the modification done on the warranty they give you when it was not brought new ? I brought it form a MB dealer .

Thanks
Welcome to the forum, can you please fill in your location as it helps other members give relevant advice as some answers are market specific, I will assume you are in the UK.

When was the car registered, is it still under the manufacturers 3 years warranty. All used mercedes cars from MB dealers come with a 12 month warranty. If it is out of the 3 years you should still be able to get it done as by retrofitting to the GLC they have admitted it is a fault and dealers shouldn't sell cars with known faults but they do.

·
Registered
20 Posts
....... dealers shouldn't sell cars with known faults but they do.
Hmmm....called in to dealer today to get some parts, salesman saw me and came over to ask how I was getting on with the car (only had it a few weeks) ....when I said all was OK apart from the steering knuckle and battery problems (stop start not working) and DAB radio replaced due to poor reception I also added that I was disappointed to have had to sort these seemingly known problems out AFTER purchasing the car....at which point he went very quiet and apologetically walked off :grin2:

I am more concerned that I have HAD these problems on such an expensive car that, whilst now being some 18 months old has only covered 7000 miles

·
Super Moderator
1,137 Posts
David

All manufacturers are the same, I was a regular returner to Land rover when I bought one of their cars. Have a look at the new BMW X5 forum, cars have lots of faults. The GLC has had very few faults compared to other cars , the crabbing being the only serious one and they took too long to solve it and haven't yet for the 43 and 63.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just had my 250 back from it's A service. 12 months old with 7k miles on the clock and my Goodyear AS still have 8mm tread depth on all 4 tyres!
I've had very limited exposure to the tyre skipping but it's definitely there on colder/wetter days (maybe the 250 petrol isn't as severely affected as the diesels?) but I asked about the knuckle fix and was told the parts were in stock at the dealership and they booked in with zero hassle. Consistency at the dealer level hasn't helped with this problem but I guess I'm one of the luckier ones.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Dodgy main stealer

Thought I’d share my experience and an insight into the worst side of the MB experience
Day arrived for the stealer to have the car in for the diagnostic check on the front tyres skipping knuckle fix,car is a 15 plate brought January 220Amg line 20inch with extended 1 year warranty I explained about the fix that multiple main dealers were now rolling out but they were adamant they needed the car first to check it and see if the fix was needed and if not I was liable for the cost of the diagnostics ..Alarm bells now ringing (I’ve had an awful experience with this particular dealership 2 years ago with my A45 but being that MB has shut the next nearest dealership kinda have no choice without a trek.
Dropped car off (drop an go 09.30 ) picked up by misses and off we goes....16:45 not peep from the dealership strange it was only a diagnostic but still no contact had few phone calls to make though so at 17:00 sees a voicemail msg but on replaying it there wasn’t any msg,umpteen phone calls to them later finally got through to be told everyone had gone home :surprise: No car ,no means of travel the next day to employment and no contact from the dealership omg :frown2:
Sent a email to MB customer services,next day women rang up from the dealership about the car but sadly in between her saying that the one missed voicemail msg was adequate for there contact and her saying they were In discussion With MB about the costing of replacing the knuckles I kinda lost the plot and boiled over and she put the phone down on me :(
Phoned the manager up demanding my car be outside my house like yesterday,which within 10 mins it was but still with nothing sorted.
Now for the stance that MBUK are taking...they opened up a case file to investigate and was contacted yesterday with they saying,were ever so sorry for your experience we would like to give you £100 MB vouchers (total waste of time can hardly pay for transportation with a shite baseball cap with MB on it).
As for fix the garage was in discussion with MB to find out if the warranty covers the knuckle fix (load of BS from both parties )....and Was then told THIS FIX IS ONLY FOR COMFORT ANYWAY ...so then I asked if it was for comfort why are the front tyres scrubbing quickly,for the reply to be O you would have to speak to the technician about that...
This Dealership DARTFORD awful awful stealer and quiet frankly not impressed with customer services,so still no fix or no offer from em to fix ......gonna have to think of my next stage of attack have asked for the explanation to be put in writing possible I’ll take it to motor ombudsman....
I can honestly say ,although I luv the two cars the MB aftercare from this Main Stealer on both occasions has been absolutely shocking
Count ya selfs lucky on those whose had the fix and sensible dealerships :laugh:

·
Super Moderator
1,137 Posts
Can understand your pain, I went to the ombudsman and after 3 months was given a new set of wheels with winter tyres BUT this was a gesture of goodwill. Now they are replacing steering knuckles (except 43 and 63) you should have a good case but the ombudsman didn't find in my favour but sat on the fence with MB'S assessment of it being a "characteristic" of the car.

121 - 140 of 332 Posts