Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On March 17, 2016 I took delivery of the GLC300 4matic Launch Edition. This is my first purchase of Benz vehicle. I like everything about the car except the suspension. I have never driven a vehicle that drives the way this one does. It is not what I would expect from Mercedes.
When I drive down the highway at 60 to 70 MPH and I hit a bump in the road the steering wheel vibrates. If I encounter a moderately severe bump (that any other vehicles would absorb with no problem) at highway speeds, the steering wheel vibration is amplified to a full shutter of the front end. I has happened on multiple occasions.
Two different Mercedes Benz shop foreman have driven my vehicle and other GLCs with all the same results. All of the vehicles have the same steering wheel vibrations and suspension problem. This is an issue that needs to be addressed by Mercedes Benz.

In early August 2016 I contacted Mercedes Benz customer relations about the problem. They contacted my dealer Mercedes Benz of White Plains N.Y. and worked with the service manager to confirm the suspension issues. Around the end of August I received a call from MB advising that they were working on a fix for the suspension problems. They expected to have a new Technical Service Bulletin issued by mid October.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yesterday I went back to the MB dealer to see if there were any updates to the suspension problem. No new TSB has come out. While I was at the dealer I spoke with the sales rep that sold me the car. He offered me the opportunity to take a test drive in a 2017 GLC300 4matic. Regrettably the results were the same. The 2017 drove the same as the 2016. The steering wheel vibrations are still apparent. While I was driving at 60 to 70 MPH the sale rep said that he could also feel the residual vibrations in the steering wheel when we hit a road bump. I hope the MB is taking this matter seriously and is trying to resolve the problem. I urge every GLC owner who has noticed the steering wheel vibrations to contact there MB dealer and register a complaint. This is the only way the issue will be addressed by MB.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Definitely, if everyone can put a complaint in, we can get a TSB out for it. But even if there's no TSB can't they still look into it and figure something out ? Get a tech from MB to come down and check it out if necessary

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a GLC 220D in Korea.
My GLC has the same problem.
However, it is said to be normal in Korea.
This problem is not easy to solve in Korea.
I expect other countries to solve this problem.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have a GLC 220D in Korea.
My GLC has the same problem.
However, it is said to be normal in Korea.
This problem is not easy to solve in Korea.
I expect other countries to solve this problem.
Being told an issue is normal is sometimes their way to put off the fact that they don`t have a solution as yet or they are working on it but want to be tight lipped till the fix is ready to roll out. Hopefully we get answers soon enough.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It has happened to me a few times in 2017 GLC 300 Coupe as well. Have you heard anythimg from the dealer or Mercedes-Benz ?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Try changing the drive mode to Sport or Sport + which changes the damping settings of the steering system. If the vibration is reduced or goes away, then it is probably software related.

I had a similar but different problem with my 2017 GLC 300 where the steering wheel vibrated continuously at speeds above 95 Km/h whether I hit bumps or not. I never experienced a front end shutter. If, while the vibration was occurring, I changed the drive mode from Comfort to Sport or Sport +, the vibration went away. If I switched it back to Comfort, the vibration came back.

I went for a test drive with the shop foreman from my local dealer. He mentioned there is a known issue where an oscillation occurs in the steering rack when hitting bumps at highway speed and the oscillation causes a steering wheel vibration and can cause the front end to shutter. He said there is a software update for the steering system that prevents the oscillation from occurring.

They installed the update on mine which significantly reduced the vibration. Then I reduced the tire pressures from an over inflated 38 psi to the proper 32 psi and now the vibration is totally gone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
GLC 300 Front End Vibration HAZARD

I purchased my 2017 GLC 300 in October of 2016 - Loved it for 3,000 miles of its 8,600. I have been to Mercedes in Bridgewater where I purchased to have the
front end suspension evaluated due to vibration in the steering wheel/dash when hitting anything bigger than a seam in the road at 65-75mph. They tried to recreate the issue
on route 22 with me in the car but you can't go fast enough.... I had to get to work so they wanted to give me a coupe loaner I asked for an SUV and got another GLC 300 with 1,200 miles on it. I was 15 minutes into my commute to SI and this car did the exact same thing! I called the service attendant and reported this at which time he said they had now heard this from 1 other person which make this 3 incidents (hard to believe only 3). He then said his manager took my car out and thinks its the shock absorbers in the rear - I said I'd put money on it that's it NOT... They still wanted to replace them and then see if it resolved. This was 3 weeks ago - the parts are still not in.... I have called once a week and am told they are "coming" My last message was yesterday as I was driving home from NYC to NJ and I just do not feel safe at high speeds. My daughters Tiguan takes bumps better than my Mercedes. I encourage you to report your issues and have them resolved!
My next post with be on YELP if they don't replace every part of my front end suspension and fix this obvious design flaw.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same problem for me
Lot of steering vibrations when driving on highway. complained to the salesman one time and now after reading this thread got confirmed this is a serious issue and it has to be fixed
First I thought its the problem with the tire.

some times I regret to have this MB vehicle in which I had great expectation to work well as it a as a well known brand for many years.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've reported the same problem to my dealer. They reported that they didn't feel anything in a test drive. I'm bringing it back for a routine service and will once again report the problem. It feels like a damping problem in the shocks -- the wheels are bouncing on impact, creating vibration that transmits back up the steering column. Whatever it is, I think it's endemic to the GLC (mine is a 2017 so it didn't go away with the new model year), perhaps a design flaw. My hope, though, is it's some type of mismatch or flaw in the shock valving since that's a fairly easy fix.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Unfortunatelly just today I realized about this forum.
I'm in Colombia, South America, and since November 2015, when I bought my brand new GLC I detected that same problem with the suspension and steering when you pass a bump above 20 mph. I asked several times MB service for a solution but after a fast check they just answered that the suspension is working perfect, according to design, that perhaps the problem could be with the tires - run flat type -. They suggested to change the tires for a standar tubeless ones, obvously on me. But the cars doesn't have rooms for the spare tire...
Besides that the cars is superb, but some times I prefer to drive my old C Kompressor 2007.
This is something that MB must solve, and all GLC owners should require that solution as a big worlwide group

·
Registered
8 Posts
I picked up my GLC43 in November 18. I noticed that on full lock it had this awful bumping/knocking noice from front wheels. i contended the main dealer & was told there was a fix to correct this. Why they didn't do this before i collect the car i don't know!!! When i got a call from the main dealer he told they were going to changing the tyres for a different compound. When asked if this would correct the problem I was told no but it would make it better. I was told to contact Mercedes if I wasn't satisfied!!! I have had a couple X6's, one a M50d, with no problems at all. I'm beginning to wish i'd stuck with BMW. I'll just have to see how it is when I get the new tyres!!

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
I picked up my GLC43 in November 18. I noticed that on full lock it had this awful bumping/knocking noice from front wheels. i contended the main dealer & was told there was a fix to correct this. Why they didn't do this before i collect the car i don't know!!! When i got a call from the main dealer he told they were going to changing the tyres for a different compound. When asked if this would correct the problem I was told no but it would make it better. I was told to contact Mercedes if I wasn't satisfied!!! I have had a couple X6's, one a M50d, with no problems at all. I'm beginning to wish i'd stuck with BMW. I'll just have to see how it is when I get the new tyres!!
Welcome to the Forum, read the Mercedes GLC Clonking thread 100+ pages, that's the problem you have.

Adding your location to your profile would help you get answers as a lot of issues are market specific.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts