Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have my car book in for a diagnostic check on the Adblue system next week.
Kind of concerned there's a fault and at some point the system will detect a problem and put my engine into limp mode

Just wondered if anyone else had experienced anything similar to this - see below (maybe i'm worrying unnecessarily?)

1. Adblue level was getting low - Adblue display showed it was at the top of the red section with a range of 1300 miles.
Seemed to stay like that for a long time - i was checking it almost daily with the intention of filing when it dropped to 1000 miles

2. Eventually I got the message saying Fill Adblue - i checked the display expecting it to be about 1000 miles to go and was shocked to see it reading zero with a message "Unable to Measure Adblue level" instead of a mileage range. Worrying!

3. I put 10 litres in, drove for about a mile. A mile later, i pulled onto my driveway just as the new adblue was detected. The warning disappeared and the display showed half-full with a range of 4500 miles. Relief that all seemed ok again.

4. Next time i unlocked the car to get something from it, there was a chime and the "Fill Adblue" message was back! I turned on the ignition to check and it was again showing zero adlue on the gauge and "Unable to measure adblue level" instead of the 4500 miles range.

5. Later on, I went back to car to go out. and the Fill Adblue message was gone again, the display was back to half-full, but range of only 1300 miles (same as before i filled up)

6. I've since done about 1000 miles and it's still reading half-full with a range of 1300 miles. Almost like it's stuck!

Any one seen anything like that?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Obviously seem to be alone with this problem.
But just to follow up in case anyone has anything similar...

The diagnostics found NO faults, but they reset/recalibrated the system, which has hopefully fixed it.

Interestingly they also uploaded a new version of the software which has subtly changed the adblue display on the dashboard.
The red section used to start at the 1/4 full mark, but now it's a fair bit below that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Cheers buddy ,no problems yet for me but Must admit I’m a bit anal about levels,once mine had gone below 1/4 I filled it up lol

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, so latest update on this...

Range at 2700 miles... Adblue tank reading about 1/3 full.
Just put 10 litres in.
Tank now shows over 3/4 full.
Range still stuck at 2700 miles. :(

So latest software has not fixed the problem, and filling well before any warnings appeared has also not helped.
With Mercedes say they can't see any faults on the diagnostics, sadly it's little issues like this that ruin the ownership experience. :/

Guess I'll get them to look again when it goes in for its 2nd year service

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

i have had similar issue.
warning 300 mile engine start not possible.
added 15 Ltr of AD Blue to my 27 Ltr tank (Mercedes GLC 250) and the warning didn't go off.
I took it for diagnostics at an independent garage and was told it needed a new NOX sensor (which is a common fault and classed as a recall)
I booked it in Mercedes who ran their diagnostics and told me the AD Blue had been overfilled by 3 Ltr - puzzling considering my car is just over 3 years old, never had it added before. i asked how do you know it is being over filled and they said "you don't" so there is no limit like when you add petrol/diesel where it stops filling. They were charging me £330 to drain and refill the tank.
i then received a call from Merc to say this didn't fix the issue and they were struggling to find a fault and it would need to stay in to be worked on some more.
It is now day 5 and they have rang saying it looks like the tank needs replacing which is going to be £840 + fitting + vat, but they are going to get one in and try it to ensure this is 100% causing the issue before they proceed to charge me.
I appreciate the warranty expired in NOV, however surely this sort of issue shouldn't be happening on a car just years old? i could accept any wear & tear cost but this it outrageous.

has anyone any advice on how can get any sort of help or dispute it with Merc?
thanks very much

·
Registered
34 Posts
Seems very harsh, if the hand book does not warn you about over filling, then they cannot accuse you of over filling. I filled mine to the brim and it just dripped on the floor. I would not hand over any money. They seem to be just fleecing you. Write a letter to head office and copy in the Service and Franchise manager. Say that you are contacting citizen advice and What Car. If you do go in make sure is a very busy day and talk very loudly. Best of luck.

·
Registered
149 Posts
We are in Australia. Had 2 x GLC 250d serviced. On checking AdBlu on screen screen showed level at 3/4 full, range only 11000 km - should read 27,000km when full. Basically same scenario for both cars, Dealer has no idea why Km discrepancy ?
The missing jigsaw piece might be the DieselGate issue of defeat software. It appears MBAu might have updated my engine software and not told us why, except ‘normal’ updates !! One likely outcome is increased adBlu use. Maybe software needs more calibration to set tank levels with injection rate of use ?
If I hear more I will post. I’m beginning to think this is related to software and emission fix, that is still being ‘fine tuned’. ??

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did
Hi,

i have had similar issue.
warning 300 mile engine start not possible.
added 15 Ltr of AD Blue to my 27 Ltr tank (Mercedes GLC 250) and the warning didn't go off.
I took it for diagnostics at an independent garage and was told it needed a new NOX sensor (which is a common fault and classed as a recall)
I booked it in Mercedes who ran their diagnostics and told me the AD Blue had been overfilled by 3 Ltr - puzzling considering my car is just over 3 years old, never had it added before. i asked how do you know it is being over filled and they said "you don't" so there is no limit like when you add petrol/diesel where it stops filling. They were charging me £330 to drain and refill the tank.
i then received a call from Merc to say this didn't fix the issue and they were struggling to find a fault and it would need to stay in to be worked on some more.
It is now day 5 and they have rang saying it looks like the tank needs replacing which is going to be £840 + fitting + vat, but they are going to get one in and try it to ensure this is 100% causing the issue before they proceed to charge me.
I appreciate the warranty expired in NOV, however surely this sort of issue shouldn't be happening on a car just years old? i could accept any wear & tear cost but this it outrageous.

has anyone any advice on how can get any sort of help or dispute it with Merc?
thanks very much
Did you get the issue resolved? my GLC which is now 4 years old is having similar problems. The local MB dealer has had it 6 times now in the last year and still cannot fix it. Im about to go legal for sale of a dud car. Luckily everything is covered by the MB extended warranty so far.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts