Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We drove back yesterday night with no issues and in the morning we found out that we have a puncture in the tire. Not idea how it happened or what it is :( No warnings, no alerts from MB. I wonder if that's worth going to the dealership they will probably sell me new tires and probably 2 of those or it is possible to patch it, did anyone had any experience ? it's not run flats, and I also wonder how I can get it to the tires place since it's in the garage. If I call recovery would they be able to take the care there? last question if the place doesn't have MB approved tires does it really matter?

Thanks for all the replies.

Attachments

·
Registered
451 Posts
This is why MB stash a bottle of sealant and a compressor in the rear left wheel arch. Remove the offending stud and squirt in the sealant via the tyre valve, full instructions come with the kit. It looks to me like the tyre will just need vulcanising (the tyre is removed from the rim and a plug is inserted into the hole from the inside). At MB Cheltenham this is offered as a free service along with washer bottle top-ups and valeting as part of their Drivers Club programme which is free to join if they are doing your servicing. Alternatively your local tyrefitter will vulcanise and re-balance the tyre for around £20 (it may be more in London where people seem to be happy to pay £10 a pint for "artisan" beer :p)

In the highly unlikely event the tyre is deemed unfit for repair, you can fit a suitable non-MO tyre. The MO-rating is just visual confirmation the tyre is one from a list that MB have tested and it meets their specifications. Obviously you can't fit a tyre of crossply or bias-belted construction to the same axle as a radial tyre. This would be an MOT fail when that time arrives.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is why MB stash a bottle of sealant and a compressor in the rear left wheel arch. Remove the offending stud and squirt in the sealant via the tyre valve, full instructions come with the kit. It looks to me like the tyre will just need vulcanising (the tyre is removed from the rim and a plug is inserted into the hole from the inside). At MB Cheltenham this is offered as a free service along with washer bottle top-ups and valeting as part of their Drivers Club programme which is free to join if they are doing your servicing. Alternatively your local tyrefitter will vulcanise and re-balance the tyre for around £20 (it may be more in London where people seem to be happy to pay £10 a pint for "artisan" beer :p)

In the highly unlikely event the tyre is deemed unfit for repair, you can fit a suitable non-MO tyre. The MO-rating is just visual confirmation the tyre is one from a list that MB have tested and it meets their specifications. Obviously you can't fit a tyre of crossply or bias-belted construction to the same axle as a radial tyre. This would be an MOT fail when that time arrives.
Thank for excellent reply. I have called the MB assistance they said they may fix it in place so I am waiting for them. Mine didn't come with sealant, I had run-flats originally (Pirelli) which were changed to Vredenstein later and I think dealer didn't include, I should probably go and buy some. Will post an update how it goes.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Aaah, I see. The Dealer really should have included the kit if it was his decision to swop you away from run-flats but if it was at your behest then I guess he just gave you what you asked for. The pukka MB repair kit can be had for £56 on eBay: Genuine Mercedes Tyre Puncture Repair Kit
or you can get a non-OEM solution on Amazon for £25: AirMan ResQ Pilot Roadside Repair Kit

There's a good chance MB Assist will sort you out. I believe the mechanics are dressed in Lederhosen and will serve you chilled Liebfraumilch whilst they get the job done. :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I promised the update: and yes MB assist arrived (although took 4 hours) and patched it. I was lucky the hole was quite big and they guy didn't know at first if it will work or not, but 25 quid for a patch vs a new tire (Pirelli) x10 times is good bet. I didn't drive with yet, just took it around the block to make sure.

That's probably first time I thought I should have stayed with Pirelli run-flats and didn't change for Vredenstein. He said those are hard to buy and they don't carry them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts