Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am owning a 2017 250d GLC Coupe with steel springs. The car came with normal Michelin Latitude tires 255/45-20 and 285/40-20 and from day one I heard a unusual tire noise while driving from low speed (20 kmH) and the level of the noise do change upon the smoothness of the road surface. When it ran over a small speed bump or a manhole you will get a hallow sound like you over inflated tire which actually was between 30-32 lbs-in. Few weeks ago I change the front tires to Pilot Sport 4S with the hope of less noise but it didn't.
If you hit the tire's thread surface gently with the hammer on this one you shall get such a similar noise that bother me while driving.
My assumption was that the noise generates by tire and came through the struts into the chassis. I tried other make tires such as Conti and other size rims and found that 19" rim with 255/50 the noise are much less other wise are all the same. I don't think you can get any quite tires for this size as they are for extra load. I experienced a little on a GLC phonematic suspension model and the noise seems to be less on the same tires.
I have not tired to damping the car as the guy said it will not help to reduce such king of noise, with his experience.

I am thinking of upgrade the struts or struts mount as it this may be the only choice to reduce the noise but I can not find any interesting parts for it so I wish to share my thought with you guys for some advise.

Thank you

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi I am owning a 2017 250d GLC Coupe with steel springs. The car came with normal Michelin Latitude tires 255/45-20 and 285/40-20 and from day one I heard a unusual tire noise while driving from low speed (20 kmH) and the level of the noise do change upon the smoothness of the road surface. When it ran over a small speed bump or a manhole you will get a hallow sound like you over inflated tire which actually was between 30-32 lbs-in. Few weeks ago I change the front tires to Pilot Sport 4S with the hope of less noise but it didn't.
If you hit the tire's thread surface gently with the hammer on this one you shall get such a similar noise that bother me while driving.
My assumption was that the noise generates by tire and came through the struts into the chassis. I tried other make tires such as Conti and other size rims and found that 19" rim with 255/50 the noise are much less other wise are all the same. I don't think you can get any quite tires for this size as they are for extra load. I experienced a little on a GLC phonematic suspension model and the noise seems to be less on the same tires.
I have not tired to damping the car as the guy said it will not help to reduce such king of noise, with his experience.

I am thinking of upgrade the struts or struts mount as it this may be the only choice to reduce the noise but I can not find any interesting parts for it so I wish to share my thought with you guys for some advise.

Thank you
Did you find a resolution to this? My car hits bumps hard and makes some noise and I'm told it's the runflats. Not sure if i'll just replace them with NON runflats soon.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts