Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2017 GLC AMG Line Premium and we took the electrical deployable tow bar option for the bikes (I'm way too short to get bikes onto the roof).

Just been browsing the 2020 GLC models (UK) and from the brochure it looks like the tow bar is only an option on the Sport model.... the a wee dash (-) next to all the AMG Line, AMG Line Premium and AMG Line Premium Plus models means 'Not Available'.

Anyone have any insight into whether this is correct? Seems very short sighted to only offer the tow bar on one model and it's the 'base' model as well.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have a similar 2017 model with the electric bar and agree it's very short sighted if that's the case. I can only presume it's due to the "foot wave boot opening" which I was told wouldn't work but it does on mine every time.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I would consider an after market option as the model is tow rated / approved
There is benefit in factory fit, however there is also the drawback of increased tax liability due to emission

As such I installed an aftermarket detachable tow bar which is neat and tidy and almost invisible
Not too much of a pain to fit either

(I have retained the function of the swipe to open boot)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've just got the 2020 model GLC300 in Australia and need to get a tow bar. Was there a trick to retaining the kick to open function? Did you need to fit it yourself or do the aftermarket guys know what they're doing and move the sensor accordingly?

I bought it knowing I might lose that function when I get a tow bar, but if I can keep it then I'd like to :) Thanks

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had mine installed by an independent, who also installs at many local main dealers
He was aware of the sensor and apparently relocates higher up!
It’s not a function I use often, though I’m wary as I mainly use tow bar for cycle carrier
The last thing I want is, for the boot to open with the rack fitted, the work around is to leave engine running or boot open prior to loading bikes.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes opening the boot onto a bike rack would be quite the problem! Our thule bike rack is pretty substantial, I'm not sure I could ever get my foot into an appropriate place to open the boot once the rack is fitted (fingers crossed). I've found the kick open surprisingly useful when carrying my kids and bags etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've just got the 2020 model GLC300 in Australia and need to get a tow bar. Was there a trick to retaining the kick to open function? Did you need to fit it yourself or do the aftermarket guys know what they're doing and move the sensor accordingly?

I bought it knowing I might lose that function when I get a tow bar, but if I can keep it then I'd like to :) Thanks
Hi I live in Australia as well and I have just taken delivery of GLC 300 4matic 4 weeks ago and I want to know where I can get a towbar. Mercedes dealership in Western Australia have indicated at this stage they cannot fit one as they have not got them to install
Can you help

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi I live in Australia as well and I have just taken delivery of GLC 300 4matic 4 weeks ago and I want to know where I can get a towbar. Mercedes dealership in Western Australia have indicated at this stage they cannot fit one as they have not got them to install
Can you help
I can't sorry. I've now had mine for 6 months and despite regular check ins with my dealer there is still no factory option available apparently. I've not looked at alternative options yet, since I'm leasing I want to keep the change as stock as possible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks very much
if you do find where to get one or if the dealer network decides to make one available could you please let me know and I will do the same
thanks Peter

1 - 9 of 9 Posts