Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! Only had my car from the factory since October. I have the 21 inch alloys on my GLC45 AMG and both the front tires have worn down to 1 mm after 6400 miles use!? More often than not, I’m driving my children around to their various clubs and places they need to be. I know it is a very powerful car, but it hasn’t been driven as such. Just the front tyres alone will set me back £660 to replace!!I can’t be doing that every 6000 miles can I? Has anyone else had the same issue??

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi everyone! Only had my car from the factory since October. I have the 21 inch alloys on my GLC45 AMG and both the front tires have worn down to 1 mm after 6400 miles use!? More often than not, I’m driving my children around to their various clubs and places they need to be. I know it is a very powerful car, but it hasn’t been driven as such. Just the front tyres alone will set me back £660 to replace!!I can’t be doing that every 6000 miles can I? Has anyone else had the same issue??
Hi

I'm in a fairly similar position. My GLC43 has done 7,400 miles and the fronts are down to the wear indicators whilst the backs are a good 2mm above that.

What brand and model of tyre are you running on the front?

·
Registered
76 Posts
My GLC 43 has done 3000 steady(ish) miles and has not been on full lock however the fronts are showing cupping on the outside edges. I'm on Michelin Sport Latitude 3 19" conventional rubber.

·
Super Moderator
1,137 Posts
My GLC 43 has done 3000 steady(ish) miles and has not been on full lock however the fronts are showing cupping on the outside edges. I'm on Michelin Sport Latitude 3 19" conventional rubber.
I have same size wheels and same tyres, on full lock every time I park on driveway, have done nearly 8000 miles and my tyres are fine.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have same size wheels and same tyres, on full lock every time I park on driveway, have done nearly 8000 miles and my tyres are fine.
Your car is also rattle free as well, looks like you have the perfect GLC 0:) Could you post a picture of you tyres please Phil so I can compare.

I think I will be trading mine in soon as it's possibly the worst built cat I have even owned. A fantastic piece of kit when the trim isn't buzzing and vibrating but nevertheless just poor build quality / poor materials dressed up to look expensive. Even the reviews pick up on the creaky trim but mine just seems even worse than the norm.

·
Super Moderator
1,137 Posts
17 months old and I haven't had ANY rattles at all, will see if I can sort photos of tyres later. Not sure about poor materials dressed up to look expensive, all the reviews I have seen praise the interior.

·
Registered
76 Posts
17 months old and I haven't had ANY rattles at all, will see if I can sort photos of tyres later. Not sure about poor materials dressed up to look expensive, all the reviews I have seen praise the interior.
Must just by my car and the loan car I had then. If I press the centre console it creaks, if I press the top of the dash above the instruments it creaks as well. I went to brooklands and the GLC's and C Class's on show all exhibited various creaks when prodded in the same places etc but I didn't drive them so not sure if this translates into a noise when driven or not. I can recall at least one review that says the centre console buttons creak when pressed.

·
Super Moderator
1,137 Posts
TYRE1.jpg

TYRE2.jpg

TYRE3.jpg Can't see how you can say it is just your car that creaks when every one you have been in seems to creak, maybe I am deaf and all the other people who have been in my car and commented how quiet it is!.

7892 miles

·
Registered
6 Posts
Another one here with a "creak" free interior, maybe I'm a lucky one too!!

The only noise I've experienced over 14 months and 9000 miles is when I'd accidentally dislodged the boot floor cover which then rattled, took me a while to find out where the noise was coming from though.

I would agree that some of the interior materials appear to be cheap certainly when compared to my last car a VW Touareg, put your hand inside the door pocket and you can feel a few rough edges which you shouldn't really expect from a £50k car...

Apart from that I've been very impressed with my car.

·
Registered
140 Posts
What size rims ?
We have MOE run flats, Replaced by dealership with Goodyear All Seasons M&S, Eagle Sports in both 20” staggered rim sizing. Got rid of tyre crabbing on wet cold rounds at rounderbouts and off camber pavement when doing U-turns or tight right hand turns (RHD car driven on left side of road.
Expect to get around 45-50,000km
Think in USA there is a guaranteed mile usage with them.
Very happy so far, we originally had Pirelli Scorpion Verde, MOE, summer tyres.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Amazed of the different brands for OEM. I've hit 5,343 miles since Nov 2017 on 21inch Dunlop Sport MAXX run flat, they show very little ware, they have been excellent performance tires so far with the lowest road noise I've ever experienced. Fingers crossed they will out last my itchy throttle finger.......

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the 21 inch alloys on my GLC45 AMG and both the front tires have worn down to 1 mm after 6400 miles use!?
For what it's worth, I test drove a GLC43 AMG today with 21" alloys and it had just shy of 18,000 km on the clock. The tyres were the original Continentals, and whilst worn were still a few mm above the "wet" (3 mm) wear indicator.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just noticed the same thing on my GLC after about 25,000 kms. The front are bald but the rear are fine. After much thought about this I think the response from MB and their dealers are correct and there is not fix. I blame this on the design of the GLC and there is not much anyone can do about it. It looks like the GLC will just eat through tires.

1. The GLC by nature of being based on the C class has a longitudinal mounted engine. This means that the steering articulation of the GLC needs uneven and whacky angles to get around the longitudinal mounts. All longitudinal mounted cars have this steering problem. BMW is the same. This differs from let's say a Honda CRV or Audi Quattro which are based on FWD cars and use transverse mounted engine and so steering articulation is generally neutral and even.

2. The GLC 4Matic system is a full time FWD system. This causes problems when turning because there is no decoupling of the center diff. It is always on. I can feel this in the steering wheel when making tight turns. This causes the tires to shudder and slip to overcome the binding lock.

My opinion is longitudinal 4WD systems are inferior to transverse mounted 4WD systems for mostly tarmac driving. I like my GLC but maybe I should have bought the GLA instead.

·
Super Moderator
1,137 Posts
New steering knuckles will vastly improve tyre wear, read the threads.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 43 AMG has the 21” wheels with continental OEM tyres.
It juddered badly and only got 6,000 kilometres before they needed replacing !!!!
The NZ dealership replaced the tyres of the same make and model but a different code number. Under warranty.
The juddering was eliminated.
However, after another 6,000 kilometres they need replacing due to wear ?????
95% of driving is in town and not abused.’”
Tyres in NZ are expensive. 2 fronts will cost NZ$1700 !!!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts