Mercedes GLC Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had my 2016 GLC43 for 2 years and the tyre wear is beyond ridiculous. Had new fronts put on 3,500km ago and wheel alignment done and at the recent service they’ve reported the fronts are wearing unevenly…… just taken it for another alignment and it was out by heaps…. Surely this is a design fault, anyone else experiencing this? Surely Mercedes doesn’t expect you to have to get an alignment every 3,000k’s

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Nikkiwoo,
Agree the tyre wear on the GLC was way higher than any car I’ve previously owned. On my 2018 GLC250 4MATIC, the tyres were barely legal at 25,000 km from new. Wear rate is much better since my front suspension knuckles were replaced 2 years ago. The new knuckles help correct a design fault with the steering geometry ie. when executing a high angle turn, tyres are not pointing at the correct relative angle to avoid scrubbing (wear) )between left and right front tyres.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Replacing the Steering Knuckles had a huge impact on our 250d - reducing tyre wear and eliminating the Juddering & skipping in cold conditions.

Unfortunately replacement knuckles are Not available for the C43 AMG models.

3 Posts
I have a ‘19 GLC43, 21” staggered wheels and had the front OEM run flat Dunlop tires replaced at 16,000 miles/25000km, they were wearing evenly but just worn out. My dealer said it wasn’t out of alignment and was wearing appropriately. I replaced with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (non-run flat) and they are now at 24000mi/38500km and don’t look like they’ve worn at all. The OEM run flat Dunlop rears still have a lot of life, the fronts just wore out faster. I’ve had it aligned despite no pulling and while it was a little bit out of spec, still a minor alignment. Recommend pilot sport, non-run flat, higher wear rating.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
254 Posts
The Steering geometry fault that results in excessive tyre wear and Crabbing in cold temperatures, is specific to Right Hand Drive GLC’s - UK, Australia, New Zealand

MB designed and fitted under Warranty new Steering Knuckles for None AMG C43 or C63 models, which fixed the fault. However, after 7 years MB still hasn’t provided a fix for the AMG versions.

Tony

1 - 5 of 5 Posts