Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Made the decision today to get a GLC over a Q5 (currently own an A3). the big decision for me is whether to go for the petrol or diesel.

Im not really a car expert, i just know what i like the look of.

would appreciate any advice on whether to go for the petrol or diesel. ill probably do around 10,000 miles per year but mostly A and B roads, dont use the motorway much.

Chris

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
Welcome to the forum, can you please fill in your location in your profile as some questions/answers are market specific.
At the moment my answer would be to go for petrol with all the bad publicity regarding diesel, who knows in 12 months it may be petrol with all the bad publicity.

·
Registered
93 Posts
If you don't do regular long runs on motorways I would avoid diesel as you will just have DPF problems down the line . I think the resale value of diesels is going to drop quite fast in the coming years as they become very expensive to maintain .

·
Registered
17 Posts
I picked up a brand new 250 petrol 4 weeks ago. Driven diesel SUVs for years and love the near silent running especially around town. Power delivery feels different to a torquey diesel but the petrol is marginally quicker across the range I believe.

Only downside is that I haven’t gotten above 28 MPG yet. I don’t drive it particularly hard but only do 5-6k miles a year with mostly short journeys.

Still happy with my choice though and would recommend it.

Note: I got a Premium Plus with metallic paint, 20” wheels and running boards for £35.5k so there are deals to be had!

·
Registered
93 Posts
That sounds like a deal , I guess it's the short runs killing your fuel consumption . I actually got 34 mpg out of my 43 the other day on a trip to Bude at an average speed of 51mph which totally surprised me , mind you I did have the speed controller with me making disaproving noises every time my right foot twitched . I generally get 24mpg round and about .

·
Registered
76 Posts
My 43 usually averages 23 ish on the 9 mile run to work each day across country. The best I've had on the same run is 25 mpg and the worst was 17 mpg!! engine and box are always in Sport mode
However I tend not to worry that much about the fuel figures and just enjoy the lovely engine and exhaust note

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All,
I'm also new to the forum. Thinking about buying a new 250 petrol. Looking forward to reading owners comments, particularly from recent buyers so that I can gauge whether some of the earlier issues have been addressed. I've already read a fair a bit about crabbing. Would like to know more about the car's performance, reliability and comfort levels. Is the car well insulated from road noise? Whats the audio system like?
EwokTim, You seem to have got a very good deal. Did the list price go over 40K? (£310pa additional tax?)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi BSS
Yes my list price was around £44k, it was a great saving but did include the tax uplift. I try to put these things in perspective though, I'm a low mileage driver (<8k/yr) so an extra tank of fuel every other month or a £310 tax burden isn't a massive issue - else I wouldn't be spending this much on a car in the 1st place!
GLC's in RHD (more so those with bigger wheels!) do crab. It's an unavoidable (but somewhat mask-able) issue but you need to consider that against all the factors i.e. how many times do you go full lock, does it actually bother you that much, does it outweigh the other niceties? For me the answer was no obviously, I nearly cancelled my order when reading up on crabbing but so glad I didn't. I've got the 20" wheels with all season tyres and even in the beautiful dry weather I can tell that the front tyres are under a small amount of strain on the rare occasion that I need to stress them. I'm sensitive to my cars front end from years of karting etc so you get a feel for these things, I'm sure in the damp/wet it will be worse but my daily routine doesn't require much full lock steering. I feel for those with tight driveways or regular use of multi-story carparks where I'm sure it's much worse/regular. My advice, don't let others put you off, think about your driving routine and obviously test drive something with the same size wheels you plan on getting!
Fuel economy isn't great in the 250 petrol but I do a lot of short journeys and to be honest I enjoy the acceleration and having a modicum of fun, if I couldn't afford 28mpg I'd of bought a smaller more efficient car. The start-stop is whisper quiet especially compared to the diesel versions, from inside you barely hear or feel the engine cutting or re-engaging which I like. The car is great around town and dare I say in traffic. On the back roads the engine is fun and delivers the power nicely (although the gear ratios is Sport+ are to be avoided as it just hits the rev limiter and whines!), it's not the firmest ride but you need to remember it's an SUV (the AMG models are perhaps less floaty?) so if you throw it into a tight corner with too much speed you will experience some body roll.
I have run flats on mine as a personal preference, the ride is comfortable as far as I'm concerned and I'm really happy with the cabin noise on motorways etc having come from a drafty XC60. I got the Premium Plus package mainly for the higher quality screen and the Burmester sound system which is startlingly good! The panoramic roof and electric seats are an added bonus. The cabin feels luxurious and high spec although it's taking a while to get used to some of the button/control placements.

I used autoebid.com for mine, I was comfortable with an online order as I new the exact spec and did my research. There are plenty of online car buying services so obviously check them all for the best deals.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Definitely petrol. Diesel is becoming more and more outdated by day. Considering the realities of the present I would suggest that Mercedes start looking towards the hybrid technology. I know that they have some hybrid and electric models but those are premium cars and not everyone can afford them. As for your issue - diesel will be cheaper to drive diesel price wise but you'll face a lot of limitations in Europe and the UK. The petrol one will cost you more to drive around but it will compensate with cheaper engine service. Make sure to visit the car buyers direct for more feedback.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts