Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i gather that the off-road pack increases ride height by 20mm. Any opinion on what that looks like with the 18" wheels and whether it adversely affects handling? As I'm looking to tow I'm considering it and for £495 it seems decent value but I don't want to compromise the handling much more and not sure I can stretch to airmatic! About to press the button on a 220d Sport Premium although concerned about the poor reports about numb steering. Had a Lexus NX F-Sport on test for a few days and was impressed, anyone compared?

Thanks.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'm pretty sure we have some members on here that have the off-road package.. may need to give it a little time before they get around to chiming in though !

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have the off-road package fitted to my 220d but it also has the Air Body Control option. If there is any way you can stretch to air suspension, I would definitely recommend it. You get a synergy between the two systems when they are both fitted not to mention the ride quality being so much better than with conventional springs. With ABC the ride height can be varied to lift the car 50mm higher for better ground clearance and the rear can be lowered when parked for ease of loading or hitching a trailer. In Eco and Sports modes the suspension rides lower for better wind resistance and cornering stability.
The off-road package and ABC together also gives you an extra "Rocking Assist" mode. IIRC adding the towbar option removes Parktronic and in Premium Plus spec you have to forgo the tailgate handsfree open/close sensor under the rear bumper.

Here's a pic of my 220d Sport sitting on the 18-inch wheels and standing that 20mm taller than with the conventional suspension.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Toobad. Looks great, I do like those wheels, and the calipers! I'm sure the ABC is great but struggling to fund. Anyone got the off-road pack on springs?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Now we just need to see you hitting some rocky trail where you tires come close to hitting the fender liner :D
Are you brave enough for the challenge?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Standard GLC 220 Exclusive.
Extras = Ambience Lighting, Burr Wallnut Trim, Keyless Start/Stop. Fastest Colour Black.

·
Registered
412 Posts
i gather that the off-road pack increases ride height by 20mm. Any opinion on what that looks like with the 18" wheels and whether it adversely affects handling? As I'm looking to tow I'm considering it and for £495 it seems decent value but I don't want to compromise the handling much more and not sure I can stretch to airmatic! About to press the button on a 220d Sport Premium although concerned about the poor reports about numb steering. Had a Lexus NX F-Sport on test for a few days and was impressed, anyone compared?

Did you by any chance test it on any off-road terrain? Saw the NX, I like it, it's growing on me, but I also want something that's off-road capable enough since on trips to the cottage and some trail I go on will give it some WORK to do. Biggest concern is ride quality.. if it's too stiff or just right.

·
Registered
287 Posts
That's the thing.. they're obviously not gonna show it going through the same scenarios/situations that we would take them through. We need actual owners with them that put them into the adventures that we would (cottage, beach, etc.) to see if they'll hold up to what an "off-road" pack should be.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a GLC 250 Sport with the Off Road Pack. I am delighted with the car. The extra height isn't really noticeable and the car drives like the demonstration model without the pack. You need to know that the Off Road Pack gives you the hill descent control and different terrain settings. With Intelligent Lighting, the lights have a wider beam when off road.

Reactions: CRNCYX

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have a GLC 250 Sport with the Off Road Pack. I am delighted with the car. The extra height isn't really noticeable and the car drives like the demonstration model without the pack. You need to know that the Off Road Pack gives you the hill descent control and different terrain settings. With Intelligent Lighting, the lights have a wider beam when off road.
Have you experimented enough with the terrain settings for the duration of time you've had your GLC?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a 250d with off road pack with spring no problems towing my caravan
Factory fitted tow bar foot tailgate release works fine on the factory fitted tow
Bar you get a upgraded cooling fan and oil cooler and when you plug in
It stops the rear parking sensors and the settings on the car change for towing
You only get this on the factory fitted bar not the after market
The off road pack is a no brainier for the money

Hope this helps alfie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts