Mercedes GLC Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yup, you are perfectly correct, Phil. What I meant was that if you were specifying the Premium Plus Package you would automatically pick up the "Active Parking Assist with PARKTRONIC" but you put it more succinctly in so much as you would just need to spec above the SE entry level to get it included.

I wonder if your Disco's version of PARKTRONIC also gives periodic phantom proximity alerts. I find the 12 ultrasonic sensors around the car can trigger a warning beep for no reason at all. Sometimes it is raindrops or the exhaust fumes from other cars and it can be somewhat disconcerting as you are driving along. Luckily I have the 360 camera which I rely on more than the sensors for tight manoeuvres.

·
Super Moderator
1,143 Posts
Never had any phantom alerts on the Disco sport, to activate the self park I have to press a button on dashboard, don't know how GLC works but would assume you would have to do the same. Could it be the AEB that is giving the false alarms?.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yes, Parktronic is indeed part of the Premium Plus package. In the 7 months of ownership I've only seen the radar detection offer me the Parking Assist option once. It will do conventional parallel parking as well as supermarket parking. Be aware the system is not clever enough to leave you enough room to get the doors open if you find your self sandwiched between two other cars. But on the upside, having pulled the trigger on the Premium Plus option, you will also benefit from the panoramic sunroof as an escape route. And if you are not athletic enough to take advantage of that, just enjoy the superb Burmester Surround Sound system until one of the other cars move. Personally, I just "Clarkson park" - afterall, it is a Mercedes. >:)

Mercedes refer to their standard trim as "man-made leather". I think this appeases potential customers with a conscience about using animal hides. I find I am now getting judged every time I wear my designer trenchcoat fashioned from baby sloth pelts. What is the world coming too? Anyway, people also know the interior trim as MB-Tex. Admittedly it fares better than real leather in terms of cracking and UV resistance and, TBH, I find it very hard to tell the difference. There's plenty of leather fragrance air fresheners you can pop in the cabin.

The Off-Road package really does represent excellent value for money. I love the way you can easily clean the wheel wells by passing your hand through the narrow spokes of the 18-inch wheels. The restyled front end for improved approach angle adds a nice bit of bling and for those without the increased ride height of the Air Body Control suspension, the uprated underbody panelling gives more peace of mind if you ground out. Throw in the additional off-road modes complete with a wider headlight spread and the package is a no brainer. As for sidesteps I think they are simply an exercise in form over function and I'd definitely put the money towards something more useful like the 360-degree camera. Running boards may look cool but in reality you will be stepping over them and the only real purpose they serve is to deposit all manner of crud on your trouser leg. And as for pencil skirts, they would definitely be out of your cross-dressing armoury :wink2:

My 220d Sport Premium Plus with Off-Road package and 360 Camera was also optioned with the air suspension. The car was a bucket list purchase and I was chasing comfort with a capital C. I test drove the conventionally sprung version and there is no comparison. It allows the Sport and Sport+ modes to be far more engaging and in Comfort mode delivers that magic carpet ride I was seeking. It would be where my first £1500 would go before seeing what else I could incorporate. It was easy for me to ignore the highly rated Intelligent Light System option as I rarely drive at night these days and I see the HUD option as more gimmick than "must-have". I can honestly say I have not had one ounce of buyer's remorse even though I had to sell a kidney to make it all happen. :eek: ;)
Many thanks for the great write up Toobad,

I agree with what you say about regretting the options later on, I did a couple on the Audi however this it feels is in a different league of options.

The parking gadget is a play thing and shall soon wear out its novelty however nice to have and show off with. The false leather seating I have to believe that MB would NOT put a material in a £40K+ car that would look like S***e a couple of years later. Leather is a natural by-product the the steak I enjoy so cannot be moralistic here but equally not gonna pay through the nose either. Leather air fresheners, could choose the £300 option of the smelly thing instead and load that up with the fragrance, cheaper than the leather.....

I am gonna stick with the standard wheels as think they are ok and seems the reduction in the crabbing issue is matched by the reduction in rim size, or is that a man thing. ;-) The off Road function I like alot becasue I tow a caravan and on experience on wet grass pulling 1600KGs can make anything spin, so a couple of the functions on the off road thing could be useful. Plus on the Youtube videos it makes the car a very capable soft off roader! Side steps I have on the Audi and would not have again, I agree the amount of crap they collect and ladders my hosiery not to mention the wife's has been ridiculous. ;)PLUS they take away some of the off road ability..

Test dive now been changed to tomorrow, Saturday and they giving me the car to take out for the day before going back to negociate the deal. They have 4 in the pipe line they can hi jack with the spec changes and should get them before VED shaft you day......:mad:

·
Registered
456 Posts
Never had any phantom alerts on the Disco sport, to activate the self park I have to press a button on dashboard, don't know how GLC works but would assume you would have to do the same. Could it be the AEB that is giving the false alarms?.
Thanks for that input, Phil. It is not the Autonomous Emergency Braking system or Collision Prevention Assist Plus as Mercedes likes to call it. If that goes off you get a red warning triangle appearing in the instrument cluster along with an intermittent warning tone. The PARKTRONIC sensors are depicted by a histogram at the top of the instrument cluster. Yellow blocks light up as you get progressively nearer to an object culminating in a final red block accompanied by a warning tone. The phantom alerts trigger the red block and warning tone as you are driving along but only at speeds of less than 11mph as the PARKTRONIC function is automatically deactivated above that. Perhaps others can chip in and confirm they have also experienced these phantom alerts. Incidentally, the Active Parking Assist system works in conjuction with PARKTRONIC and is available when a white P in a blue rectangle appears at the bottom of the instrument cluster. This function can be disabled by a switch located to the right of the steering column.

·
Registered
456 Posts
@Mobydick
Hope your day with the GLC works out well. Bear in mind that if your chosen car hijacked from the production line has the KEYLESS-GO with HANDS-FREE ACCESS option and you decide to fit a towbar, I think you loose the ability to activate the tailgate by sweeping your foot under the bumper because the towbar will obscure the sensor.

·
Registered
100 Posts
@Mobydick
Hope your day with the GLC works out well. Bear in mind that if your chosen car hijacked from the production line has the KEYLESS-GO with HANDS-FREE ACCESS option and you decide to fit a towbar, I think you loose the ability to activate the tailgate by sweeping your foot under the bumper because the towbar will obscure the sensor.

100% Correct.....:wink2:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Morning folks,

Am going in Sunday to negotiate buying new GLC 250D AMG line in Brilliant Blue with options.

Hey Mobydick....:surprise:..Sunday is a day of rest, buying cars is heavy and costly work.....:nerd:...The best of good luck with your new purchase....:wink2:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
@Mobydick
Cheers Toobad and Novice.

You spot on and the dealer informed me of this straight away and thats fine, the key fob remote opening still works. Apparently initially it caused some issues because they went into production not realising this was the result of locating the sensor where they did and they had to do some re thinking on it and production was halted for a while.

I have the car for 5 hours to go where I please so looking forward to today.. Big time......:laugh:

·
Super Moderator
1,143 Posts
Enjoy, let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Can anyone confirm whether there is still an option to delete Engine/model badging?

·
Super Moderator
1,143 Posts
Can't confirm but sure dealer would be able to select deletion of badges.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Can't confirm but sure dealer would be able to select deletion of badges.
Thanks Phil - Just contacted Dealer who says they have been instructed not to delete badging now! I'm trying to determine if it just my dealership.

·
Super Moderator
1,143 Posts
Sounds odd, you can have it deleted on Discovery Sport even though it's not on configurator. Not sure how they are attached on GLC but on DS they are just stuck on and can be removed.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I didn't have any formal badge deletion codes entered on my build record so the factory could leave them off but just prior to delivery I simply asked the dealer to remove the 220d and 4MATIC characters and leave them in the glovebox. This was duly done without any fuss whatsoever. The only caveat was they couldn't put them back on and I would need to buy new badge sets if I wanted them reinstated. This was 7 months ago.

The characters are only attached with double-sided tape and are easily removable by the owner. Just gently heat the area with a hairdryer, use fishing line or dental floss to cut through the warmed foam and remove the glue residue with Goo Gone.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Brilliant Toobad - Really helpful thanks. I'm a bit of a purist!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Good evening folks.

Well had my day in the car and 2 hours with the salesman.

Drove from Stafford to Ashbourne for a ride out in a 220 AMG with premier plus.

Plus points. Everything! Tech by the bucket load and more. Car ran beautifully and so quiet. Acceleration excellent to be bettered by the 250. All stuff excellently put together as expected. Turning circle fantastic and on the 20" rims no grabbing problem and car only had 500 miles on the clock.

Negatives. Didn't have long enough in the 5 hours lol and didn't like the colour.

Sooooooo.

Firstly compared to my fully loaded Q5 2.0 s line 14 plate this car is in the 21st century whereas the audi looks so dated but still beautifully screwed together. The salesman was A1 in all respects and Stafford Mercedes were wonderful to deal with.

So the best bit is I have ordered my dream spec car. Could not have the off road pack as can only fitted to the sport model. The rest is sorted. He has accessed a car close on spec within the group which can still be altered and should be with him by mid march. Astounded. Took me 5 months to obtain the Audi. Am right chuffed. ..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sounds like a grand day. Like you, coming from a Q5 I felt like I was stepping up in quality, particularly in the cabin. When I drove the 220 and 250 back to back I didn't detect much difference in acceleration. I went for sport so I could get the off-road pack but, if I'm honest, preferred the look of the AMG. Don't suppose you had the sound system going with salesman present? Look forward to comparing notes mid March.

·
Super Moderator
1,143 Posts
Good to hear Mobydick, I didn't test drive the GLC, never have test driven cars as I work off the principal it is an MB and has 3 years warranty.
Get mine March 1st, not long now.
What spec did you decide on.

·
Registered
456 Posts
So the best bit is I have ordered my dream spec car. Could not have the off road pack as can only fitted to the sport model. The rest is sorted. He has accessed a car close on spec within the group which can still be altered and should be with him by mid march. Astounded. Took me 5 months to obtain the Audi. Am right chuffed. ..
Wow, new car smell available next month and still at the lower VED rate. Result! I pulled the trigger in mid-December 2015 and had to wait until mid-June 2016 before it arrived. I had just missed the designo Hyacinth Red slot and for some reason they weren't going to load the paint robots with that colour again until May but in the end the wait was so worth it.

So what is the full spec of this dream car? I admit to being like a kid in the candy store with the configurator but have not experienced one ounce of buyer's remorse. I took comfort in the old adage "Always travel first class because when you are dead your relatives sure as heck will." I hope you refused the £400 Supagard paint protection treatment, you can do exactly the same thing yourself for around £30 in products. I'd always advocate some form of paint protection on factory fresh paint but your hard-earned cash would be better spent at a professional detailer if you don't feel competent yourself. Supagard is Mercedes high margin equivalent of the shoe polish a shoe shop will try and foist on you for those fancy new shoes you've just bought.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi all I am going threw the process of waiting on my order on a new GLC coupe 250 amg. But on reading issues re the crabbing it as made me doubt my decision.Advice required from owner driving the vehicle. I understand that MB are say you need to change the tyres to winter tyres.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts