Mercedes GLC Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All, bought a GLC250 (petrol) for the wife in January. Its primarily her car, so I only occasionally drive it, and I don't enjoy it when I do. The reason is the incredibly harsh suspension!
We live in a hilly area, and the local council sees fit to install numerous speed bumps on the roads here. When driving the Merc over these speed bumps at anything above a walking pace the front suspension bottoms out, and gives a most unpleasant 'thump'. Her previous car was a Honda CRV, and that car could be driven over those same speed bumps at reasonable speed, and soaked up the punishment without a problem.

I'm really not impressed with this car. The GLC is an SUV after all, and at least pretends to be an 'off-roader'.

I've talked to the dealership and they say no, it's a 'sports car suspension' :confused: and the behaviour is 'normal' for a 'sports car'.
If I wanted a sports car I'd have bought a Porsche.
This was meant to be a solid SUV capable of dealing with the local terrain we drive on here. It's not working out well.

By the way, the wheels are the 20inch rims. Could that have anything to do with it?
Anyone else experienced this problem? Is it really 'normal'? Is there any way to fix it? 19inch rims perhaps?
Of course, 20inch rims is the problem, good news you can buy 17inch rims and tyre then you sell quick at least double price your 20inch rims and tyres.....win win situation

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree, the suspension is extremely harsh...I have a 350d Glc formatic AMG with conventional coil over dampers...I think the suspension is way too soft, the car bucks and rolls and bottoms out on country roads...Not what you expect from stiff suspension...I have a Porsche 997 and that suspension is compliant and forgiving...beautiful engines.. but the worst suspension I have ever driven...almost un liveable with...but for the silky engine it would have gone long ago...

21 - 23 of 23 Posts