Mercedes GLC Forum banner
1201 - 1209 of 1209 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just wanted to add to this thread, as I read it last year and learnt a lot.

Bought GLC May 2019 - 220d 2016.

Didn't notice any juddering for a while, I though we were safe. Winter and wet weather kicked in, October 19 onwards, really bad on full lock, we have 19" alloys which apparently makes it worse.

Spoke to my local Mercedes garage (after a checkup), workshop guy basically said, it is common with cars of this size, with the torque etc, basically trying to fob me off. I've thankfully owned a lot of cars, all shapes and sizes, disagreed with him throughout 😂

Left the garage went home, did some more reading on here, saw a statement on this thread from the same garage, got angry and called Mercedes HQ (main number on global site). Logged the issue, they said a local garage would come back to me, 2 days later get a call to book the car in, I book it in. Closer to the booking date, I get an email saying this issue is most likely going to cost, BUT they then go on to say they have a solution and what it is (mechanical fix not tyres) but it would cost something like £1100.

Thankfully that p155ed me off enough for me to quote their email back and highlight how they acknowledged a fix was possible, and a fix clearly states a fault etc. This went on for a while, then I said i'd go back to Mercedes HQ and start questioning known faults and how this could be dangerous - unnormal tyre wear etc,

Email back, saying car booked in, cost covered and would I like a loan car.

So a big thank you to everyone on here sharing their information, without it, i'd of conceded at round 1.

FYI - problem solved 100% and to be fair, the garage were brilliant after they agreed to fix the issue, I will always return for a service and will buy future cars from them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Adam - did you get this fixed under warranty or extended warranty?

Thanks
S

I just wanted to add to this thread, as I read it last year and learnt a lot.

Bought GLC May 2019 - 220d 2016.

Didn't notice any juddering for a while, I though we were safe. Winter and wet weather kicked in, October 19 onwards, really bad on full lock, we have 19" alloys which apparently makes it worse.

Spoke to my local Mercedes garage (after a checkup), workshop guy basically said, it is common with cars of this size, with the torque etc, basically trying to fob me off. I've thankfully owned a lot of cars, all shapes and sizes, disagreed with him throughout 😂

Left the garage went home, did some more reading on here, saw a statement on this thread from the same garage, got angry and called Mercedes HQ (main number on global site). Logged the issue, they said a local garage would come back to me, 2 days later get a call to book the car in, I book it in. Closer to the booking date, I get an email saying this issue is most likely going to cost, BUT they then go on to say they have a solution and what it is (mechanical fix not tyres) but it would cost something like £1100.

Thankfully that p155ed me off enough for me to quote their email back and highlight how they acknowledged a fix was possible, and a fix clearly states a fault etc. This went on for a while, then I said i'd go back to Mercedes HQ and start questioning known faults and how this could be dangerous - unnormal tyre wear etc,

Email back, saying car booked in, cost covered and would I like a loan car.

So a big thank you to everyone on here sharing their information, without it, i'd of conceded at round 1.

FYI - problem solved 100% and to be fair, the garage were brilliant after they agreed to fix the issue, I will always return for a service and will buy future cars from them.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Smaller diameter wheels do reduce the Crabbing & Clonking caused by Faulty steering geometry.

Smaller wheels look awful - breaks the design

Factory fitted wheels should work as expected - customers should not have to payout for a replacement set of wheels

It appears that eventually MB UK were very good at fitting New Steering Knuckles under Warranty, for virtually all owners suffering from this fault.

Tony

·
Registered
5 Posts
Many thanks for that, Toolbad. Yes, I guess I'll probably have to wait another 1,000km or so and then buy the Conti Seal tyres myself.

There is, however, some grumblings about this GLC tyre crabbing issue in the media of late so perhaps it's worth my writing to the paper and seeing if my letter has any effect on the local dealer.

As well, in our national news paper today, there's an article saying that our ACCC, (Australian Competition and Consumer Commission...supposedly Australia's competition regulator and national consumer law "champion"), is targeting new retail car businesses as they feel the consumer is getting a raw deal. They plan to change legislation so that complaints are handled correctly and car returns/replacements occur justified. I might write to them as well!
Hi Pete,

Just wondering if you ended up getting in contact with the ACCC about this issue?

Been a few years since you posted this.

1201 - 1209 of 1209 Posts